Friday, January 29, 2010

This weeks sleep in retrospect

I can't tell a lie, I've been very hush, hush about E's sleeping habits this week. In case anyone didn't notice. And, for good reason. I believe you can jinx anything good. You don't brag about things going well. It's kind of like when you've driven a very long road trip, driving slightly over the speed limit, and you turn to your passenger and say: "I haven't seen a cop this whole trip." And then the lights come on in your rear view mirror. That's just the way I view it. You don't brag about good fortune. But since my good fortune has gone away all on it's own. I can now tell the truth!

Last Saturday, was supposed to be Daddy's night. And much to our amazement we didn't hear a single peep out of her until 6 AM. It was the first time she had actually slept through a whole entire night. Yes, ALL NIGHT. Of course, I've been waking up 3 - 4 times a night for so long now, I still woke up all night long. But it was good to know that both E and Daddy had gotten a good nights rest. Of course, one doesn't claim victory over 1 night. Could have been in error. So, I didn't mention anything about it, and Sunday night we headed into the night, skeptical that it would happen again. But come 6 AM, E was still asleep. This time, I had only woken up twice. Ok, maybe things were headed in the right direction. I doubted she'd keep it daily, but a couple days a week would be heaven sent! Headed into Monday night, I slept, didn't wake up. Well, until E decided she was done sleeping through the night. She woke up at 4 AM. I really couldn't fault her for this choice, as she had already been asleep for 9 hours. And most people would consider 9 hours all night. But again, as I've said, I don't like to brag. So really, 9 hours was pretty good. Couldn't expect her to sleep through the night every night. I would take what I could get.

Are all you experienced Mommies laughing yet? She only got worse, and worse, and worse. Until last night. I don't even remember how many times she woke up. So here I am again, it's Friday. Tonight is Daddy's night. I hope I can try to get some extra winks of sleep. And knowing his luck... she'll choose tonight to sleep through the night again. And probably tomorrow. But we'll see. I really hope it wasn't a fluke.

The thing is, since we've already accomplished moving her to her crib, if she'd just keep sleeping through the night we'd be golden. So I continue to trudge up and down the stairs, and sometimes just giving up and sleeping upstairs, all the while thinking to myself "She did it twice, she'll do it again, don't give up, just keep trying."

I hope all the Mommies and Daddies have peaceful slumbers, that they don't wake up anymore than necessary, and as I wonder every day: "Who dropped the pacifier?"

No comments:

Post a Comment