Friday, February 26, 2010

A day of Ups, Downs, in betweens, and some just plain funny

Sometimes I find myself going through life and thinking "this is really my life. this is not a tv show, or a movie, or a book. This is MY reality." And yet it's usually in these moments that I believe the most that the life I'm living must be part of a sitcom. At least... that's how I felt last night.

E woke up a little before 1. It's never a good thing when it's closer to midnight than 2 when she wakes up. The chances of her only getting up once dwindle the closer it is to midnight the first time she wakes up. But up she was at 1. So up I got, and E had a nice snack and then went back to bed. So I crawled back into bed, only hoping this would be the last I heard of her. But a little before 4 AM I surfaced. Yet another snow storm was hitting the north east, and I have not yet accomplished zoning out the constant beeping of the snow plows backing up. So, where was I, oh that's right. I surfaced. I realized that I had been hearing the beeping of a snow plow backing up. That's ok, it happens. But then I begin to hear E making noises on the baby monitor. Not screaming, but definitely awake. So I head upstairs to try to give her a pacifier. Imagine my confusion when I walk by the front door and see a snow plow stopped in front of our house. Something felt odd about it. But I was still tired. And E was still fussing. So upstairs to the nursery I went. I gave E her pacifier and then headed back downstairs. As I passed the front door this time, I became even more puzzled. The snow plow driver was standing behind his truck. And as I looked a little more closely, I realize what's going on.

To explain it best really I have to back up and give you more information. We live on a private road. That means we actually own the land that our gravel road is on. The town does not HAVE to plow this road, but, I guess, as a courtesy (our taxes are high enough) they plow the road for us. Bonus. BUT - this winter has been particularly bad, and during one particularly BAD snow storm, the snow plow driver lost track of where the road actually WAS and kind of plowed some of the grass. NOT the end of the world, it was only off perhaps 12 inches or so. So we didn't think much of it. But then it rained. And it got muddy. And then the garbage truck backed down our street, overshot the street AGAIN, and put big divots in the plowed grass (I mean mud).

So anyway - you can only imagine the current state of our road. SO, back to realizing what was going on. The snow plow had gotten caught in the divots and was practically sitting in the fields across from our house. Would have been in the fields, but the bushes got in the way, so he was kind of just stuck in the bushes. What woke E and I up, was the sound of the snow plow driver backing his way into nowhere and digging himself deeper and deeper into the divots (BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, you get the picture). I found this scenario so extremely funny, that I had to go in and wake Daddy up. He had to see this. He isn't that interested. But E is not going back to sleep, so now Daddy goes upstairs to give her back her pacifier. I hear Daddy stop at the foot of the stairs in front of the front door. Then he finally comes back in. "He's stuck"... Thank you Mr. Obvious I think to myself. But that's when it starts to get good. Daddy starts to snicker as he is falling back to sleep. And I start to laugh, and we're both laughing so hard we can't go back to sleep. SO, we get up to see what is going on. NOW there is ANOTHER snow plow has backed down our street. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. Yup. E is now most definitely awake. I say to Daddy. I don't want to nurse her and then have this whole racket wake her up. But we don't see much happening out front. And E doesn't want to wait. So we nurse. E falls back asleep, and I put her back in her crib.

I come back downstairs just in time to see them hook a chain to the back of both snow plows, and then slowly start try to pull the stuck snow plow out of the mud. But--- as if you didn't see this coming, as the stuck snow plow is in reverse, all you can hear is--- BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... They hit a few spots where the tires spun out and finally the stuck snow plow is unstuck. Both plow drivers get out of the trucks and walk over to the deep rivets, mud and snow and look at the mess they have made. Then, as we couldn't actually HEAR what was being said, the rescue driver could only have said something to the effect of "You have to plow more over to the left". There was a lot of large gesturing going on and waving of the hands. They then proceed to stand next to the snow plow that had been stuck and kick it's back tire. WHY, Daddy and I have yet to come up with a reason for. But after a few minutes they both get back into their trucks and they head off down the street. But, AGAIN, as the stuck snow plow is BACKING out of the street, all you can hear is--- BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... Finally we can't see them anymore. Daddy says... "Seriously? I don't think they're coming back to finish the job." We both have visions of not being able to get out in the morning because they are now going to refuse to plow our street.

Much to our surprise though just as we were about to give up, a snow plow comes down the street again. It's the same snow plow that had got stuck. WOW, he doesn't give up does he! He gets the road right this time. And then... come on all, you see where this is headed. BACKS BACK DOWN THE STREET. All you can hear is--- BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... *sigh*

I keep saying, ok the first time they over shot the street I understood, the snow was VERY deep, and visibility was bad. But really? The snow wasn't that deep this time, and what, you're telling me he didn't see the bushes approaching rapidly???

As Daddy and I crawl back into bed, still laughing. E is upstairs in her crib. WIDE awake. We can hear her cooing, shreeking and otherwise talking to herself. I would like to blame all of the BEEP, BEEP, BEEPing, but it also might have been Daddy and I standing at the foot of the stairs bellow her room laughing hysterically for 30 minutes. We thought for sure nobody was going back to sleep. As this had taken up the better part of 45 minutes from start to finish. But Daddy went upstairs to give E her pacifier, and she did settle down and go to sleep immediately.

So that was our night. I won't add anything else to this as I'm sure you're side already hurts from all the laughing you have been doing. So that will be all for today. I hope the Mommy's and Daddy's stay strong and BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP..... Who Dropped the Pacifier???

No comments:

Post a Comment